Tuesday, May 09, 2006

How sad am I, mourning a TV show

I'm getting all weepy and nostalgic about the upcoming final episode of "The West Wing" on Sunday, going so far as to put a ticker on my computer to mark the passing days until the last idealistic politicians will float off my TV screen. I know, though, that while I will be mourning on Sunday, my family will be celebrating, because I will no longer be sequestering myself in my bedroom at 8 p.m. on Sundays, a time when we are usually just about to eat dinner. I've been eating alone in my room, with kids forbidden to enter or talk lest I miss these last few precious bon mots. Bad mom, I know. The least I could do is get a working VCR and watch it at a post-bedtime hour. But I'm kind of liking having one inviolable TV hour a week, just one, when once I had so very many. Maybe I'm mourning the end of that a little, too.

Of course, the end of a beloved series has been made a little less tragic these days by the fact that there are DVDs of past seasons to play over and over again. Don't suppose the family'd let me get away with watching them at 8 p.m. on Sundays, though. It's back to being family hour.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

My mum loves the West Wing too.

Something about great storylines and as you say, idealistic politicians.

Maybe when/if your kids leave home you can watch the West Wing all you want.

Speaking of leaving home, what transition plans are you making in the IEPs? That's fairly soon coming up in the school year!

(You might not wish me to remind you seeing as in past years they have been late).

And wouldn't it have been excellent if a West Wing character was on a trip to Russia or looking after an international adoptee - like in Congress or at a Senate hearing the issue could be in there ...