Friday, August 05, 2016

Learning to Say, “That Sucks”

A scene on an episode of Parks and Recreation I watched the other week as part of our Parenting Roundabout marathon has stuck in my head lately and got me thinking of the general unsatisfactoriness of trying to fix another person’s problems. On the show, the situation involved a man trying to cater to every complaint of his pregnant girlfriend, and being schooled by some friends that all she really wants is for him to listen to her problems and say, “That sucks.” It’s posited that this is all women really want, and I don’t know about that, but ... maybe. Sometimes. Some days.

But what’s struck me about it more this time around is how applicable it is to parenting. Even with typical kids, it’s often better to just step back and offer sympathy without judgment and without jumping in to make everything better. With our kids with special needs, it’s often impossible to jump in and make everything better, since it’s not always easy to know what exactly the problem even is. When your kid’s having a tantrum or a meltdown or any of so many sorts of discombobulation, trying to fix things so very often makes everything worse. Ditto problems at school and with friends. Certainly there are times you have to intervene, but I bet there are more times when “Yeah, that sucks” and a sympathetic presence would be at least as helpful.

I’m at a point of parenting young adults, and the “jump in and help!” strategy is getting less and less successful. As hard as it is to turn over the advocacy reins to amateurs who haven’t been training at the School of Hard IEP Meeting Knocks for years and years, it’s a necessary step ... and over and above that, parental fixing just stops working at some point. It’s hard to get complete information about what's going on in any given situation (oh, how I miss my days of being able to get the scoop from cooperative paras and therapists). Advice given often turns out to be the absolutely wrong thing to do. Young people become frustrated by the lack of respect and empowerment, or else they learn helplessness, and then you’re all out of luck.

It is so, so hard as a parent to sit back and say, “That sucks.” It is so, so hard not to jump in and fix things. It is so, so hard to not KNOW how to fix things, or even what needs to be fixed. I’m going to give this stepping back and sympathizing a little try, though, and see how far things fall apart without me holding them together with both hands. They can’t fall too far apart, right? Nothing too bad could happen? Because if I’m wrong about this and I really do have to figure every dang thing out myself and fix every problem and anticipate every outcome ... that would suck.

4 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

A and E survived before you and before anyone could say "This sucked". They will survive after you.

Terri Mauro said...

Yeah, I know that. But I don't FEEL that very well.

Unknown said...

This is very true, sometimes all someone is looking for is for someone to agree that something's not good. Sometimes advice and help can be good too. I suppose it's hard to judge and balance this.

Christine said...

I sometimes have to remember to stop being in "find the solution mode" to " just listen mode."